Monday 13 April 2015

Teaching Kindergarten And Preschool Math - Algebra Before Arithmetic

http://eimaths.com/
I hated Algebra with a passion. The truth is I hated Math with a passion. The term 'equation' threw me into a cold sweat. As soon as the Math teacher entered the room my brain made a quick exit stage left. To my shame I can honestly say I don't think I 'heard' a word she said for three years.
I realised that if I was to achieve my ambition to become a primary/elementary teacher this was an issue that I needed to address as a matter of urgency. The sad truth is that I was not the only student in this predicament, far from it. We actually formed a club!
Why is it that Math is one of the most reviled subjects on any school curriculum?
My journey of self discovery and enlightenment took me back to my very first schooldays. This, I believe is where the problem starts and the biggest mistake we can make is to introduce children to formal arithmetic too soon. I am not talking about rhymes and 'counting' activities but the fact we assume children understand the nature of number when it is in fact an abstract concept that cannot be understood in isolation.
For example, if I asked you to fetch me 'one' your obvious response would be 'one what?' That is why early counting activities are always related to objects or things e.g. one duck... two ducks... three ducks...etc' This is fine up to a point but too much dependence on this approach can lead to children adding up on their fingers as they get older.
To avoid this common failing children need to be able to understand the concept of cardinal number. Using cuisenaire rods this concept is acquired naturally and incidentally through the medium of play.
The Power Of Math Manipulatives.
Using manipulatives like Cuisenaire Rods can ensure that very young children are able to understand mathematical concepts we often consider far too advanced for the level of development of preschool and kindergarten children. This is achieved through the physical properties of the rods. Each rod being a different length and color lends itself to an approach that Caleb Gattegno describes as 'algebra before arithmetic'.
The First Step - ColorNames
Give each rod a color name. Traditionally the rods are white, red, light green, pink, yellow, dark green, black, tan, blue and orange.
There is a practical reason why the 'brown' rod is named tan.
http://eimaths.com/
The Next Step - Initial Letter Names
Once the child has used the rods and is comfortable with the color names it is time to introduce the initial letter names. These are: w, r, g, p, y, d (dark green), b, t, B (Uppercase initial because blue is longer than black) o.
Children now have the basic vocabulary to be able to convert simple patterns made with the rods into mathematical sentences (equations) that will become increasingly more complex as the signs are gradually introduced..
Signs are introduced as a substitute for common terms and phrases that can be used naturally as you play with your child. The most useful phrases being; end to end, train, pattern, side by side, big, small, above, below, long, short.
Know more on  Kindergarten Maths, Visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment